“Investigators have so far acted on 30% of the actionable intelligence gathered on the case. Action is underway on the remaining 70% of the inputs,” the state police chief said in an exclusive interaction with the TOI on Monday.
Describing the 2022 assembly elections as a major challenge at hand, the DGP said preparations had already begun to ensure free and fair elections. He said preparations were also on to ensure a peaceful atmosphere for Kanwar Yatra which would be taken out in compliance with pandemic protocols.
Emphasising the need for a better police-public relation, he said effective handling of what was described as “petty crimes” like theft, burglaries, small disputes between neighbours or issues like eve-teasing could instil a sense of security among the people.
Lauding the UP Police for “rising to the occasion” in crisis situations, the 1987 batch IPS officer said due to this quality, UP police constabulary was one of the best in the country. On the challenges in terms of policing, he said the focus on curbing cybercrime was the need of the hour and he would push for the setting up of at least one cyber police station in every district of the state.
On the performance of the police commissioner system, which is in place in four major cities of the state, the DGP expressed confidence that looking at the success of the system, the government would introduce it in more districts in the days to come.